Education and Outreach
Citizen's Water Academy
“Because water matters, you should participate.”
The academy is the perfect way to learn about your local utility. The academy has been postponed until Spring 2019.
Through the academy, Mount Pleasant Waterworks is hoping to expand and sustain a diverse network of influencers who are willing to provide feedback and serve as outreach ambassadors on dealing with growth and water issues.
The Academy guides and educates citizens on all operations of Mount Pleasant Waterworks. Academy participants will tour key facilities, learn about the challenges Mount Pleasant Waterworks faces and have the opportunity to meet key staff members and receive insight into their water and wastewater provider.
Mount Pleasant Waterworks will, in turn, gain valuable insight into customers understanding, needs, and priorities.
Goals for the Academy are to:
- Improve customers understanding;
- Strengthen the relationship between customers and the utility; and
- Develop a pool of knowledgeable customers to act as ambassadors for Mount Pleasant Waterworks.
The selection process is competitive, and acceptance is not guaranteed. A total of 40 members will be accepted. Applicants who are not selected to participate will be considered for future academy sessions.
Participation in the Academy is on a voluntary basis and is not subject to any form of monetary compensation. The selection process is competitive, and acceptance is not guaranteed. A total of 40 members will be accepted. Applicants who are not selected to participate will be considered for future Academy sessions. Mount Pleasant Waterworks is an equal opportunity employer. The selection process does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, pregnancy, age, genetic information, disability, military status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Speakers Available for your Organization
Would you like to have a speaker from Mount Pleasant Waterworks present at your next meeting? We have a range of speaking topics available that are very interesting and can be tailored to your audience. Please contact Jenna Lore, Communications Specialist, to book one of our Clean Water Talkers for your next meeting, Email: email@example.com.
Mount Pleasant Waterworks has a comprehensive public education program designed to provide a variety of information, resources, and hands-on activity in environmental education and water resource/conservation management. The Commission's Public Education program components include:
- Video presentations of the water and wastewater treatment processes, water conservation, source water protection, point and non-point source pollution and basic water principles.
- Slide presentations of the reverse osmosis water treatment process.
- Working models designed to show groundwater flow reverse osmosis and the wastewater treatment process.
- Laboratory services that demonstrate water quality testing and sampling.
- Classroom presentations that can be tailored to any existing water or environmental curriculum.
- Facility tours of both reverse osmosis treatment plants and wastewater treatment plants.
- Supplemental hand-outs and classroom projects designed to reinforce the principles associated with water, wastewater and conservation.
- Innovative recommendations and examples of successful science fair projects.
- An award winning environmental mentoring program involving hands-on presentations and facility tours in partnership with the Charleston County School District.
Please contact Jenna Lore, Communications Specialist: