Your Water Meter
Locating Your Meter Box
Accessing Your Meter
To access your meter simply lift the lid off of the meter box box, take care not to damage the wire running from the Smart Point to the meter. Be mindful that there may be snakes or spiders living in the meter box.
Inside Your Meter Box
Inside of your meter box you will find your meter, the bottom of the Smart Point, a curb stop (for MPW to shutoff service), and double check and ball valve (for the customer to shutoff service).
Reading Your Meter
Reading your AMI Meter is done by opening and closing the lid to cycle through different information that your meter can tell you. To cycle from screen to screen close the hinged lid of the meter and open it again, the lid should fully close and make an audible "click". Continue fully closing an opening the meter until you reach your desired information screen. The first screen will show the total number of gallons used since your meter has been installed. The second screen will show alarms that tell MPW crews important information. The third screen will show flow (how many gallons per minute of water are flowing through the meter).
Checking For Leaks in Your Home
Checking for leaks is easy and fast with your meter. To check for leaks follow these steps:
- Shut off all faucets and fixtures inside and outside your home
- Access your water meter, within the meter box, usually found in front of your house near the curb
- Check the flow of water through your smart meter by opening and closing the hinged lid on the face of the meter 3 times. Ensure the meter closes with an audible "click" each time.
- If the flow shows zero, and there is no flow indicator showing at the bottom of the screen, no water is flowing through the meter and you have no leaks in your home or underground in the pipes around your home.
- Please note that it may take several minutes for any usage to become apparent.
Maintaining Your Meter Box
Keeping your meter box clear of any dirt, grass, or plants is essential to ensure your meter is read properly. Please do not plant bushes near your meter box or grass on top of your meter box.